Home Harps Hammered Dulcimers Strings Ordering Support About Us Blog Forum

Sanitizing Dusty String instruments with Sporicidin wipes?

On the Music for Healing and Transition Program forum, there has been a discussion on sanitizing harps and other wood instruments that are played in the hospital and other healthcare facilities. Know that each manufacturer’s finishes will react differently.

Will the DS wood finishes hold up to use of this product?

Per link found: http://www.contecinc.com/products/life-sciences/solutions,-disinfectants-and-soaps/all/sporicidin(r)-disinfectant-wipes :

"Cleans, disinfects, deodorizes. Provides 100% kill of pathogenic vegetative organisms, including MRSA, VRE and Pandemic 2009 H1N1 Influenza A Virus (as well as H9N2). Continuous residual activity up to 6 months. Compatible with plastics, wood, glass and metals, alcohol-free Sporicidin Disinfectant Wipes are non-staining, non-abrasive and non-corrosive. EPA registered; OSHA compliant. Lowest EPA toxicity category. Sporicidin has the most neutral pH of any phenolic based disinfectant.

Cleans, disinfects and deodorizes
Compatible with plastics, wood, glass, and metal
Sporicidin Brand Disinfectant Wipes is a surface disinfectant product, not a sporicide. It is not effective against bacterial spores."

Any insights into use of this product would be appreciated!

[quote]Continuous residual activity up to 6 months. [/quote]I can’t comment on the product in general, but if the part I quoted means what it seems to mean, well, that is how you create superbugs. A disinfectant should never leave any residue (that’s one reason alchol is popular - it evaporates quickly and leaves no residue). Anything that just keeps killing pathogens will just kill the weak ones so that the strong ones don’t have to fight for the resources. The weakest of them are killed off, the survivors exchange the best genes, and it just keeps getting better (that is, worse, from our position). So, after those six months, you’ll have a population of bugs that couldn’t care less about the disinfectant - they’ll probably live off it.

That’s a great question, and I’m afraid we don’t know the answer! From reading the description, it sounds like the wipes should be pretty gentle, but we don’t have the chemical knowledge base to predict how they will react with our nitrocellulose lacquer. The safest way to go would be to test them for a while on the underside of your harp’s base. It’s an inconspicuous area, but has the same type of finish as the rest of the instrument, so it’s a low-risk way to see if the wipes cause any problems like discoloration or stickiness. Or, if you’d like to send us a box of the wipes, I’d be happy to test them out on a lacquered piece of scrap wood and let you know the results after a month or so!

The active ingredient is a phenol per the HPA data sheet. Be that as it may friction is more effective than chemicals for removing pathogens - which is why you see “WASH YOUR HANDS” in every wash room. Learn and follow hospital protocols: do not touch the patient or linen, wash your hands before and after entering the room. A mild detergent wipe such as Huggies™ will do the job on your harp.

I’ll have to add another comment - about the part above. It is simply not true. The manufacturer is stating something that is not possible, not in the context given. There is nothing that you can safely use, without serious protection, that can kill 100% of pathogens. Not even close.
I second Biagio’s suggestion. Common hygiene is the key.

There are silver impregnated cloths called Norwex that physically remove germs. Just wet it and wipe. It is a great way to avoid the chemicals but still clean your harp safely.