Home Harps Hammered Dulcimers Strings Ordering Support About Us Blog Forum

Recording your harp for practice and to make a CD

I’m looking for help finding a recording device that I can use for harp practice, to hear what I sound like, and also possibly to record a CD with, at home. I recently bought a PS-02 Palmtop Studio Digital Multi-Track Recorder, for $200 (on sale, regularly $300) but it’s got WAY more bells and whistles than I need or want. It does have the option of recording 3 tracks, which gives me all kinds of ideas for accompanying myself-- but really, I just want a recorder.

Can anyone suggest an easy-to-use recording device that could possibly be also used to make a home CD? I’m looking to spend around $200, not more. Thanks for your ideas.–Lori

I have an Olympus recorder, just a small pocket recorder, that is good for recordings when you’re practicing. I doubt it would be of good enough quality for the kind of recording you mentioned, though. Still, if anyone is interested in this one, I want to sell it.

Please contact me at bethkolle@comcast.net

Also have a CD machine that slows down recordings but keeps the music at the same pitch. Great for transcribing music.

Beth

Do you need a recording device with a microphone, or do you already have a microphone which you want to plug in? One option for mic and recorder in one device is a Zoom H1 (or ‘Zoom Handy H1’) which can be found for around $100 retail (on Amazon, for example). It has a built-in stereo microphone and runs off one AA battery. It also has a 1/8" input socket in case you want to plug in an external sound source.

It records in stereo or mono on microSD and it’s got a lot of features - that’s pretty much unavoidable with Zoom gadgets - but most of the time you can simply get away with pressing the red button at the center, it’s as easy as with an old cassette recorder.

There are various quality options, and most of them are good enough for CD quality.
If you move the microSD to a PC you’ll find that each recording is stored as a .wav file (unless configured to record as .mp3). Or you can just connect the device directly to a PC with a USB cable instead, as with a digital camera.

Disclaimer: I have not used the H1 myself, but it is in the same range of products as my more complicated H4 model, with similar microphones etc. The sound quality is good. My H4 came with some studio software for the PC as well, Cube something, I don’t see that in the ads for the H1. But I never used that software anyway. For processing (e.g. creating a CD) you can use just about anything which works for you.

For recording my practices, I use an app on my iPhone or iPad called “Voice Memos.” It gives an accurate account of how I am playing. For the purpose of recording a CD, I prefer to use a more sophisticated unit, simply because I can mix the tracks of information individually so they sound better together. Also, for the purpose of CD recording, I like to add just a tiny amount of reverb to the mix to give the overall recording a little more depth, without sounding spacey. GarageBand, which is an iOS app for iPhone and iPad is also good for making CDs, as well as for recording your practices. There are many recording apps for iPhone and iPad. The nice thing about them is they are easy and handy to use. I believe the recorded information can be transferred to GarageBand via iCloud. Hope this info helps.

thanks to all of you who have taken the time to reply to my question - you’ve given me lots of food for thought! --Lori